Windows 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> What's on your mind?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cow109 wrote:
In general a crackpot is a nutty person. However, most of the time it is used to refer to a man (not a woman) who is middle aged or older, and who is interested in science, inventing, and tinkering, but misuses science. An example of a crackpot would be a gentleman who tries to protect himself from lightning strikes by placing a lightning rod on top of his umbrella. Or attach a leaf blower to his bicycle to make a jet engine, Laughing

My favorite is the guy who wears a spaghetti strainer on his head to protect his brain from alien scans. Confused
kiwicowgirl95
Yee Haw!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just missed over a page of rantings Shocked
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what happens when you skip a day? Rolling Eyes

We were just talking about our old computers. At the Computer

And somebody called me a crackpot. Shocked

Laughing
cow109

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who you calling a ranter? Mad Confused Laughing
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back, I think there was a little ranting going on. Rolling Eyes Embarassed Laughing
kiwicowgirl95
Yee Haw!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im blaming the missing it on moving Rolling Eyes
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think moving is a good reason. Smile

But if we don't hear from you for over two months we'll worry. Shocked
cow109

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrrr...I'm grouchy because it's the first week of school. And I have an issue with my new Windows 8 computer (Acer). It has a utility program that lets you copy your recovery partition onto a 16G flash drive so you have a backup in case the partition fails (or is attacked by a virus). So I bought a 16G drive and ran the copy utility. At 95% complete my system froze and I had to abort the process with task manager. I contacted Acer customer service (which consists of random guys scattered throughout India working from home on computers) and my rep suggeseted I buy a 32G drive in a different brand. So I did that and got the same result--the process froze my system at 95% complete. So I replied back to my rep's message, but that didn't work because apparently it's one-way email from these people. So I had to create a brand new problem ticket on Acer's website. I told them I was now out $50 for high capacity flash drives that I had no other use for and that they should send me a backup since their technology had failed. As a result I got a message from another guy from India who said, "Hello, I understand you wish to purchase a system backup drive from Acer...blah blah go to our website and put down your credit card." So then I had create yet another ticket on Acer's website and said, "You missed my point. When I purchased your computer I paid for the ability to create a free backup as long as I provide my own flash drive. I did not get what I paid for so it's now a matter fair customer service that you send me the backup drive for free."

Now I'm waiting for the next standard rubber stamp response. Unfortunately these reps have no empowerment. They are not allowed to think or be creative, they can only stick to scripts. And the scripts are designed mainly to protect the company from being bothered by customers and to insure that money only flows in one direction--from my pocket to theirs!!

What a world!! Evil or Very Mad
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last PC was an Acer, and it always seemed to just barely work. Often when I would boot it up, it would freeze and I'd have to power down and restart several times before it would finally boot all the way up. When I finally complained to Acer, their India staff politely reminded me that my warranty had expired, and I would need to provide a credit card number to obtain assistance. So I lived with the problem for about three years (it very gradually got worse) until I finally dumped it and bought a new PC one weekend totally on impulse. After a year it's still working okay.

I keep all my data files in two places, on the drive that came with the computer, and also on another internal drive that I purchased. I figure that the worst that could happen is that only one drive would fail, and if it's the C: drive I'd have to start over, but I'd still have all my music and personal files.

Most of the software I use is either on CD's, or available on the internet, so replacing that would be a pain, but not really a problem.

In general computers are not reliable, but fortunately not essential for life. I believe I could exist totally without a computer, but I'd really have to change my lifestyle. I'd finally get to go fishing, not much bad can happen to a fishing pole, and if you throw it in the water you can easily buy another one. Just not from Amazon. Laughing

But if I dumped my computer I'd have to say goodbye to a lot of friends, and I don't think I could do that. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> What's on your mind? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: