It's over
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> After 11 years it's time to say goodbye
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: It's over Reply with quote

At the beginning I thought this day would come a lot sooner. I'm amazed this forum lasted nearly 11 years.

This originally was a fan-forum for Taylor Ware. She became a member! She talked to us, and made many detailed posts answering our questions.

But Taylor gradually left the public scene, the last we saw her perform was in 2010. So the forum gradually became a yodel forum, so the members, who had become friends, could still share links and talk about everything from new music on YouTube to brick layers and duct tape. We stuck together for another 7 years.

People don't look for forums anymore. Today people look for social media to stay in touch. For the last few years we've only had 3 or 4 new members who actually came here for yodeling. The members who still post today are down to a handful, and our conversations have become very irregular.

The forum is up for renewal on Oct 26. I've decided not to renew. So on that day - or shortly after - the provider will pull the plug. I decided to disable the forum a few days earlier, on Sunday October 22, thinking that Sunday would be a good last day. Probably at 2 pm CST, that would be 9 pm in Europe? And maybe 7 am on Monday in New Zealand? Sorry, I can't find a time that works for everybody, the world is too big.

More comments later...
cow109

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob! ...well, you've been the world's greatest forum host! You should win a Nobel Peace Prize for setting an example for the world for internet etiquette. Can't say that I blame you though, I guess forums have gone the way of the Usenet bulletin boards (if you remember those), and there's no point in paying rent if no one is showing up. I don't even know how any of the new "social media" works and have no interest in it in any case. I'm four years away from being a retired "crazy old cat man" so I'll be moving from this property and holing up in the woods somewhere with my cats. The llamas have a new home lined up in Alabama when the time comes (they will be adopted by my shearing lady).

I have checked in almost every day (without logging in) because I like to interact when there's a new post, but otherwise have not had much to contribute myself. I have emailed Coline a time or two and post comments on her channel every now and then. I think she'll be putting out music for a long time to come so it will be fun to watch and see if her career goes anywhere. She really is top quality and is highly driven. By comparison, I think music was almost a childhood phase for Taylor and now she is destined to be a mom with babies and a job as a doctor's office manager. She's apparently still chairman of the "Sing Your Heart Out" thing though.

Question: will you have the ability to archive the entire forum on a hard drive, a DVD, or in "the cloud," or something? Seems like you would want to hang on to it forever! I myself starting copying pages I wanted to keep a couple of months ago in anticipation of the coming shutdown. So I have archived a small amount, including Kiwigirl, of course, since the illustrations represented a monumental amount of work. It was incredibly fun doing it though!

If you ever want to correspond, you can always email me at drc3po@juno.com and I will reply with my new email address as I'm trying to phase out of Juno (been on it since 1995 or so, and it's seen far better days!!) I'm guessing your "friendlycountryforum" address will be going away. BTW if you ever speak to Aishani on Facebook tell her I said hello!

David
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David! Thanks for the kind words. I think you'll make a great "crazy old cat man", it sounds like a great way to be retired. Just make sure your cabin in the woods isn't too close to the coast where you'll have to fight with hurricanes. Please stay well inland.

I have a love-hate relationship with Facebook. It's the only social media I do, and it all started when I was required to have a Facebook account to make comments on my local newspaper's web site. I'm now up to 21 friends on Facebook, all of them are either people I'm related to, or members of this forum.

I don't like the format of Facebook, any post you make quickly disappears under the weight of dozens (hundreds?) of more recent posts, and I only have 21 friends! What do the average users with hundreds of friends have to wade through every day? Some people make posts continuously, and I really get tired of seeing cute kitten pictures or click-bait that teases you with a profound question and then makes you click on an external link to find the answer. But I like the part of Facebook that allows you to chat with friends and stay in touch with family.

Thanks to Facebook I'm pretty sure all of my friends know where I stand politically, and I'm happy to say that none of the ones who are on the other side of the aisle have yet dumped me. I like political debate, and I always try to keep my comments civil, without name-calling. Unlike many others, I don't think people who disagree with me are morons or nazis, they are all just normal people with opinions based on their life-experiences.

I spend waaaay too much time on the internet. I'm addicted to YouTube, I am always looking for videos on a variety of subjects, but mostly of young people showing off their singing or other musical talents. Amid lots of garbage there are always a few gems to brighten my day. I am always amazed at people with musical talent, mostly because I have zero. I don't think the human race could exist without music, and if all humans were as talent-less as me we would have become extinct centuries ago.

David, I sent you an email. We had actually talked before via personal email, I found 3 old emails from 2011.

To answer your question, yes, I can save the forum database, which contains all our posts, but sadly I can't view it offline. It's difficult, nearly impossible to run a local version of the forum on a hard drive. All I can do it make screen grabs of posts I want to remember, but where do I start? There is so much stuff, it's overwhelming. Yes, Kiwigirl was our proudest achievement, she still seems like a real person in my memory.

David, I agree completely with you about Coline. She is a musical treasure, I hope she'll always sing and play and record, even if she doesn't become a 'star'. She has given us so much.

And I also want to thank Aishani for her friendship! Before Aishani, New Zealand was just an obscure place on the map that rarely made the news. She has taught us so much, and it's really nice to have a friend from so far away. Thanks Aishani!!
cow109

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Hi David! Thanks for the kind words. I think you'll make a great "crazy old cat man", it sounds like a great way to be retired. Just make sure your cabin in the woods isn't too close to the coast where you'll have to fight with hurricanes. Please stay well inland.

I have already vowed to stay 250 miles from the coast. This is a very hard decision to make because I love the Gulf Coast more than any other place on earth. It is purely magical and I long for it with all my heart and soul, so I always feel like a man in exile. You may recall I lived in Pensacola 15 years--1989 thru 2004. And from the time I was born my family spent much of our vacation time there. But who wants their home to be destroyed, or pay triple the normal insurance rates, or even buy a home in the first place that likely has mold growing in hidden places.

When hurricane Ivan struck Pensacola in 2004 it was extremely destructive, but my wife and I were living full-time in a 33' Winnebago motorhome at the time, so we just pulled anchor and evacuated to north Alabama 24 hours before anyone else got on the road. We returned to a devastated neighborhood but our "property on wheels" was unscathed! (Moved to MS shortly thereafter due to job). So that's the only way I would ever live there again--as a wandering nomad. But can't live like that with all the cats. But I could be content with a bit of secluded woods, or maybe a lake view, and a big screened porch for the cats.
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The safety of pets is a big concern during hurricanes. How do you protect them? You can't easily put 15 cats in your car and travel 200 miles inland, and then what? Stop at a motel? At a public shelter? That would be awkward. So I guess you have to chose between cats or the coast.

Fortunately, there are about a million lakes in the USA, so you should be able to find lakefront property. But not all lakefront property has wifi. I suppose you can check your emails when you make your weekly trip to town for supplies.

Cats would love a large sunny screened-in porch! They can spend hours watching the wildlife on the other side of the screen. Very Happy

I'm happy with my little house in the city. Every day I travel the world through the internet. When I want to go back home I just shut down my PC. Razz
cow109

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it--it boils down to cats or coast!
Love chooses cats.
Beach Car OryCat

(Hope the brakes are working!)
harriet.cox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so sad this forum is closing...
in the short time ive been on it i have loved it immensely Sad
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harriet, I wish we would have met you sooner and known you longer. Confused

Are you on Facebook? If so, send a friend request to Aishani Sai Pole from Wellington, and Coline Sicre from Bordeaux, France. Both are long-time forum members and great girls. And both yodel. Very Happy

Aishani

Coline
harriet.cox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly i dont hav facebook
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you on any other social media? I think Coline does them all, and maybe Aishani does too.

I know Coline has two YouTube channels, one for herself and another with her friend Satine.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCgc4jdQMuwCEV8yfeHSt8Q/featured
https://www.youtube.com/user/satnco

I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe you are still very young? I feel bad that we're closing so soon after you found us. Confused
SleepintheGardn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

I feel very sad that this forum is closing but I'm actually happy that I found friends like you here. I hope that we will all stay in touch! Maybe by email? We could create like a "discussion" with all of us.
Here's my email if someone wants to say hello : coline.sicre@gmail.com

Thank you so much for what you said about me! It means a lot to me. I'm still so happy to share music, and I remember how I was happy to share it here!
Today making videos has become harder for me since I've moved in a flat with my boyfriend so I have like a "moving studio" and less time to record. I have school everyday and the weekend I'm back to work (still at McDonald's) so my weeks are FULL. But I still love making music and sharing it. I do it as often as I can. And the easiest way for it is YouTube because everybody can see it!

Satine has now became a "little YouTube star" here in France with like 250,000 subscribers! We are still friends, and we really love and support each other so much!

Well, I really hope we'll stay in touch even if this forum closes because I really love talking with you all! And my English improved a lot during these last past years thanks to you ahah! Very Happy
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Coline! Very Happy

It's friends like you that made it hard for me to close the forum (you all know who you are, those of you who are still with us). But it's been 11 years, Taylor is gone, the forum is quiet, and all the yodelers in the world are now mostly on YouTube and social media. I will continue to follow them there.

Satine seems like such a nice kid, with tons of energy, I wish the best for her as she grows up. I hope both of you will be friends forever!!

Yes, your English has improved, in fact your English writing is MUCH better than many high-school graduates here in America. When I read comments on YouTube and Facebook I'm embarrassed for my country, I think lots of our people slept through English class. Will it get even worse? Some people are basically illiterate! But I'm not perfect either, I use my spell-checker a lot. Rolling Eyes Laughing
cow109

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Coline! I recently subscribed to your channel since I will no longer get the links on the forum. Don't want to miss anything! Will definitely send you a comment or an an email on occasion!
SleepintheGardn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will find a way to keep in touch!

People on Facebook make so much mistakes when they write! And that’s the same in French. I hate spelling mistakes!
That’s better to use a spell-checker than making mistakes! Very Happy

Thank you for subscribing David! Waiting for your emails! Very Happy
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Google Translate a lot. But it can't translate words that are misspelled. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> After 11 years it's time to say goodbye All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: