Hi From Boston,Lincolnshire,England
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> Greetings for Taylor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the video I was watching when I stumbled onto Taylor about a year ago. I see "Mockingbird Yodel" isn't a suggested video on the right side of the screen anymore. Glad I was watching this when I was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdFMIN_72Z8

I don't think some of the bowing techniques the fiddler is using would have been allowed in the fiddle contests my Dad was in, but I think this is an awesome fiddling video. From looking at the background of the video, I don't think the video was made at the Iowa contest. It looks like it was made in someone's living room. So I guess she could have played a different version of the song in competition. Don't know whether this particular song would have been allowed in Dad's contests. In one contest, he was going to play "Golden Slippers" but it was not a permissible song. Don't know why. I think it had something to do with the bowing technique used in playing it.
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your dad's contests were very restrictive. Were they required to play only a certain type of music? I think maybe they should have had a free-style category included in the contests, just to see what people could do.

You don't often see a fiddle used as a bird-call. I've seen that gal before, she really has a lot of talent. Just in this one video she did a lot of different things, and she made them look easy.

I don't think the hosts and the fiddler were in the same studio. Either she was playing in a living room, or on a set made to look like a living room. But I think it was the real thing. Razz
Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've forgotten a lot about the specifics of Dad's contests. He had a stroke in 1980 and couldn't play anymore. In contests, I think he had to play 3 songs, a waltz, a fast song, they didn't call it that, and a song of choice. But there were restrictions on the song of choice, some of which were on bowing technique, I think. When the competition was done, they would usually jam for fun, and that's when you could see what they could do.

Dad's favorite waltz for competition was the "Cherry Orchard Waltz". I can't find a fiddle video of it right now, but if I do, I'll post it. It's very pretty.

P.S. I think they called the fast song a hoe down.
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam sessions are sometimes more entertaining than the real show.

I'm glad your dad played the good stuff while the mainstream music of the day was mostly disco. Rolling Eyes
cow109

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violin Katie Keller, the fiddler in the video, is my "violin hero" because her style is so clean and straightforward. I watch a lot of good fiddlers but many of them are so overembellished and over the top that they don't inspire me because I could never do what they are doing and not sure I'd want to. But when I watch Katie I always think, "Hey, I could play this arrangement with another year of basics under my belt!" It's really a great motivator. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> Greetings for Taylor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: