Not sure if...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> What's on your mind?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwicowgirl95 wrote:
Apparently a lot of America's jerky comes from new Zealand meat Shocked I'm not sure if it's true or not so I might google it

You could be right! I have a package of jerky here that I'm giving as a gift in January, and it says that it is packaged in the USA. But it doesn't say where the meat actually comes from. Shocked
cow109

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chicken for a pet? How about a buffalo [bison] instead?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoHPLc8wkRc
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just not right. Rolling Eyes

I wonder if those owners realize that all their friends and neighbors think they're wacko. Shocked
kiwicowgirl95
Yee Haw!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In India my mum kept saying she wants to take a waterbuffalo home (maybe that was my brother actually)
Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffalo (actually bison) burgers are a common menu item in Montana restaurants. They're good. It is said to be better for you than beef. I haven't tried bison meat, other than the burger. You can get a license in Montana to "hunt" them. What you do is shoot one that is in a pen. Like shooting fish in a barrel. I have no desire to do that. There used to be a guy in Montana who went around to rodeos and performed with a pet bison, which he rode like a horse. It would do things like dancing, rolling over, and bowing.

I grew up on venison. Each year, we would get our meat supply by hunting. We only bought beef or pork for special occasions. I've eaten moose several times at friends' homes but have never hunted them. It's good. They say bear meat is awful. I've only eaten it once, and it was from a young bear. I thought it was very good.

I've never been to a road kill party, but I'd try it.

If kiwis look like the picture on the shoe polish can, they are cute. I wonder why it was decided to name shoe polish after the kiwi.
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw water buffalo when I was in Thailand in the 70's. I know the people use them as work animals, but I don't know if they eat them. They look like oxen. They are BIG, I don't think I'd invite them into my home. Rolling Eyes

Bison are unique to the American west? We have them in Wisconsin in zoos, and maybe on private ranches. I found on Google that buffalo meat is available at some of our farmer's markets, and you can order it online. I'll have to check it out!

I think buffalo would thrive anywhere there is grass, in other countries that normally raise sheep. I wonder if anybody raises American buffalo in Europe or Australia or NZ? Shocked
Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think buffalo would thrive in any grassy environment. If you try the meat other than burger, let us know how it is.

I'm reading a book about JFK. After the PT-109 incident, he and his crew were picked up by some native islanders and taken to the NZ military, Navy, I think, who got them safely to U.S. forces. So, thanks, Kiwis.
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'll order some buffalo after the holidays, just to see what it tastes like. If they ship it in January, they probably won't need a fancy package to keep it frozen. Rolling Eyes

I'm glad the Kiwis helped rescue JFK. Imagine how history would have been changed if he had not survived WWII. Our half dollars would probably have Nixon's face on them. And Marilyn Monroe would have been even more sad than she already was. Confused
Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The death of Marilyn Monroe is another interesting thing to read about. Theories that she was murdered, etc. Of course, there are books that claim Elvis to be alive. I think MM committed suicide.

I've wondered how deeply we would have gotten involved in Vietnam, if JFK hadn't been killed. For years, there were rumors that he had survived and was an invalid someplace. I don't know if these are still going around.
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the theories are wishful thinking - it's human nature. People didn't want to believe JFK and Elvis were really gone, or that someone as beautiful and successful as Marilyn Monroe would commit suicide. But sadly, reality can be cruel, and fairy tales are only make-believe.

Maybe the Vietnam conflict would have been shorter and more successful if JFK had been around. LBJ never seemed to care much that there was a war going on, and that Americans were dying, he wasn't a very effective leader. I wonder what the Cuban missile crisis would have been like under LBJ? Scary thought.
Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still get scared every time I think about the Cuban missile crisis.
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll never know how close the USA and the USSR came to firing nuclear weapons at each other, I think neither leader wanted to be the first one to push the button.
cow109

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Hahaha, saw a good cartoon the other day. The Kennedys were having a Christmas party when a new guest arrived at the door. It was Castro bearing a gift box of Cuban cigars, and JFK had met him at the doorway. Then there was the awkward moment when they both realized they were standing under mistletoe.

The caption: Forgotten moments of history... The Cuban mistletoe crisis.
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sure, NOW we can laugh about it. Rolling Eyes Laughing

At the time though, school children were taught to "duck and cover" under their desks, as if that would protect them from a nuclear blast. Rolling Eyes

Did JFK ever actually meet Castro? I wonder what they talked about? Shocked
Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe JFK and Castro met secretly and smoked cigars together, and that's why WWIII didn't happen. Anyway, I'm glad it didn't.

The 60's version of the peace pipe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> What's on your mind? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: