Windows 8
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> What's on your mind?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cow109

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Windows 8 Reply with quote

I just got a new computer with Windows 8. It's different!!! Shocked Anybody else using it? For the first couple of days I was lost, like I had never used a computer before.

I compare it to a car, so imagine that your car has same old engine and transmission down there, but in the middle of the night somebody has rearranged the driver's cockpit and the steering wheel is at your feet, the gas and brakes are operated by your hands, and the dashboard is on the visor. It will still be possible to drive but will take some getting used to! Confused

Anyway, I'm doing better with it now and starting to like it. Smile
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only changed OS when I buy a new PC, I've never upgraded an existing PC. Since my computer is only about a year old (and runs Windows 7), I hope it will be another 3-4 years before I need a new one. So I may skip 8 altogether?

I've read that 8 is a lot different, and has many features designed for tablets and apps. The reviews said that it really isn't worth the cost to upgrade from 7 to 8 on a traditional PC with a mouse and keyboard. All new PC's probably now have 8 though, so I hope it will be okay! Smile
cow109

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I posted a few months ago about my new Windows 7 computer that died when it was less than a year old. (Remember the long rant about the worthlessness of factory warranties?) It was a Toshiba and had a Toshiba built hard drive and it was the hard drive that failed. So I'm avoiding that brand now! So I've been using my ancient XP machine all this time, but it is really starting to show its age in spite of a fresh reformat. So I'm trying Dell this time. I had a Dell before, in the early 2000's and its HD died too, but at least it lived for three years first!

I actually set out to buy another Windows 7 machine but they have yanked them off the market. Confused I could have had Dell to build me one but would have cost twice as much as the one I bought! Mad
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my PC through Walmart, and I don't know what brand it is. I had to choose a chassis, a mother board/processor, a HDD size, a graphics card, the amount of memory, and even the mouse and keyboard and CD/DVD drive. Some items I went small and cheap, but others I went more expensive, and it was actually fun looking up all the individual parts and reading reviews on them to choose the best one for my needs. After I picked everything, the computer was built and shipped to me in about a week. It ended up costing more than I wanted to spend, but I'm happy with it, hopefully it will last me for several years.

It's the first time I did this, every other PC I've had I just bought off the shelf. I rarely had any problems with them, except that they became outdated rather quickly. I guess you get what you pay for. Rolling Eyes
nunoperalta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Windows 8, and the only thing I like on it over Windows 7 is the Explorer (folders, files, etc) that is pretty much improved, easier to use.

The rest, Windows 7 is still the "perfect" OS to me.
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used Windows Explorer, and really have no knowledge of it. Ever since the 80's when I had an Amiga, I've always managed my files with a replacement OS called Directory Opus, which is based in Australia. http://www.gpsoft.com.au/

When the Amiga died and I was forced to join the PC world, the people at Opus created a version for Windows, and I always stuck by them. Opus makes it very easy to move, view, and rename files, it views pics, plays videos and sounds, unpacks zips and rars, ftp's the internet, it does just about everything. In 10 years I don't think I've spent more than 10 minutes using Explorer, it's a mystery to me. Rolling Eyes
nunoperalta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Bob!! You are pretty unique :O
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. I've never talked to another person who uses Opus, I may be their only customer. Shocked
cow109

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nunoperalta wrote:

Isn't "unique" Portuguese for "crackpot"? Razz
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

My first computer was an Amiga, it had a multi-colored user interface when IBM's were still green text on a black screen. IBM would probably still be text-only if not for Amiga and Apple inventing the mouse and a graphical user interface. The first versions of Windows were awful, hogged too much memory, and were very slow and unstable. They crashed a lot, non-users referred to them as 'Windoze'.

I stuck with the Amiga until they went out of business. These days I only use Microsoft reluctantly because the only other option is Apple, which costs more than I care to pay, especially considering I'd have to buy all new software. Windows has gotten better over the years, but still is overly intrusive and takes a huge bite out of your hard drive space. Only God knows what all those thousands of tiny support files are for, delete just one and be prepared to reinstall your OS.

For example, randomly I found C:\Windows\Branding\Basebrd\en-US\basebrd.dll.mui
This file is 3.5K size, with a 2010 date. Do I really need this file? What is it for? What will happen if I delete it? Shocked
cow109

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 with 16k of memory and Level II Basic. It wouldn't do anything without the Basic because you had to program it. You could also buy pre-written programs on cassette tapes. The tape had aluminum foil patches that marked the beginning and end of each program. I had a program called "Artillery" or something like that. It had a little stick-figure cannon on one end of the screen and a target on the other end. You would try to hit the target by typing different variables for angle, trajectory, and muzzle velocity. Of course the target never moved. It sat there patiently waiting to be destroyed. What fun!!! It did seem very cool back then.

After that I had an Apple IIc . You can see it featured in the movie 2010: The Year We Make Contact because it looked so futuristic! It cost me $2400.00, and I spent my entire annual bonus on it that year. (Funny, I don't get annual bonuses any more. They have gone the way of pensions). I have paid less than that for automobiles!!! Shocked It was an extremely cool computer though! Cool

Then I graduated to MS-DOS at the insistence of my wife because she was into computers and used that kind at work. You had to constantly type DOS comands to make them do things. I had the first version of Windows, and it was not actually an OS at the time, it was merely a fancy shell program that ran on top of MS-DOS. It sucked the life out of the computer's minimal resources, but I had to have it because I wanted Excel and you could only run Excel inside of Windows. I was a power user of Multiplan which was Microsoft's green screen spreadsheet and the predecessor of Excel. Wow, Excel with its graphical comic-book look was the coolest thing ever, but boy was it slow.
Bunny Hop NOT!
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember associating with other Amiga users, we were a small tight-knit dedicated group. (Sort of like yodel fans are now.) We used to drag our computers into all the local amateur computer shows that were held at schools and malls, and took over our own table. We enjoyed the friendly competition with the Apple and DOS users.

Apple users were different, they were kind of preppy and stuck up. They always dressed better than we did, knit ties and sport coats with patches on the elbows. Amiga users were really laid back, t-shirts and faded jeans (shorts if it was summer). But we had fun competing with them, each trying to show the most colorful pictures, and play the coolest games (Flight Simulator was popular at the time), and do serious stuff with video. Also in the room were the MS-DOS users, who were mostly showing off their spreadsheets and word processors. The only sounds their computers were making were beeps, and the constant ripping sound of their dot matrix printers.

At that time, the Amiga was actually used to create the visuals for some of the popular science fiction tv shows, and was mentioned in the credits. The Amiga was also used as the brain behind visual displays in malls, which showed store maps and current activities. If the Amiga crashed, it would self-reboot, and continue running a program, so it didn't require constant attention. At the time I realized that some of the local cable tv channels that displayed news, weather, yard sales and school announcements were using Amigas, because they would occasionally reboot and for a few seconds show the familiar Amiga logo.

And all of this activity happened BEFORE there was the internet!! Shocked Good memories! Very Happy
nunoperalta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cow109 wrote:
nunoperalta wrote:

Isn't "unique" Portuguese for "crackpot"? Razz

Humm, I don't understand this. What do you mean with "crackpot"?

"Unique", in Portuguese, means the same thing as in English. We say "único".
Maybe you said some joke I didn't understand? Razz
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Crackpot" is English slang. A crackpot is usually an old person who is so wise that normal people don't understand him. Albert Einstein was often described as a crackpot. Razz
I think David may have a different meaning. Rolling Eyes

Or maybe the phrase came from an actual cracked pot, which was once very functional by now has become totally useless. Confused Question
cow109

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nunoperalta wrote:
Humm, I don't understand this. What do you mean with "crackpot"?

Don't listen to Bob! Plug Ears

In general a crackpot is a nutty person. However, most of the time it is used to refer to a man (not a woman) who is middle aged or older, and who is interested in science, inventing, and tinkering, but misuses science. An example of a crackpot would be a gentleman who tries to protect himself from lightning strikes by placing a lightning rod on top of his umbrella. Or attach a leaf blower to his bicycle to make a jet engine, Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> What's on your mind? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: