Yodie, George, and the bears -- comments!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> Stories Written by Our Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cow109

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREETINGS: I am randomly hijacking this thread so that I can talk about another thread (Continuing the Story) without interrupting it.

But first this: I have to agree with the original post (from goteamusa, above) who says this forum is the best place to be on the internet. I have a theory about why that is. Civility is becoming rare on our planet now, and this forum, over time, has increasingly become the Civility Fan Forum with Taylor Ware serving as the poster girl for this civility as well as a powerful symbol for the idea that it's OK to enjoy and share the music and other art forms that you like even if the rest of the world thinks they are uncool. If Taylor were to vanish forever from singing it would in no way make this forum irrelevant (in my opinion).

And now regarding Continuing the Story, I just wanted to ask if anyone out there is reading it. I hate to think I am writing crazy stuff just to entertain Bob because if so he owes me A LOT OF GIRL SCOUT COOKIES! I know no one can comment inside the story, so if you are reading the story please respond here and just say so. That might help determine how long it continues.

Otherwise I have these comments about the story thread:

1). Bob, you are a master storyteller and your last post utterly cracked me up (as have many of your other ones)

2). Where did Ory go? I miss your zingers. The marriage proposal knocked me out of my chair. Maybe you are mad because you had a nice wedding planned and I came along and zapped it into oblivion, but I must confess it was hard and I was fighting off the tears when I wrote the response. Crying or Very sad (But it had to be done or we'd be reading a chick-flick script). Razz But that post was a stroke of genius that gave the story dimension and provided an emotional tension that has driven the narrative ever since.

3). If your name is not Bob or Ory, think about adding a paragraph to the story. Maybe you think your writing is stupid. But good writing is just where you start with stupidity and add some vivid detail to it. At least that's what I do!

4). If you think any characters in this story are just thinly disguised versions of real people from this forum, then it's probably just your wild imagination! Laughing
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XOtaylorfanXO wrote:
Heres how it goes, Someone starts with a sentence for ex. one day a princess was captured and... And then the next person makes something up to continue the story! It is a really fun game! It's kinda like a mad lib! Here we go!

One day this guy went to school and everyone looked at him and said...

...This is how the 'Continuing the Story' thread began in August 2007, by Val, a young teen member who used to ride the bus to school with Taylor every morning. I miss Val, she was a character herself, with many valuable insights that helped make the forum what it is today. She was the first member to reach 5,000 posts (the race to 5K was VERY competitive, and I lost by only a few seconds [her old Mac was a tad faster than my old PC], but it was an honor to get beat by someone who had become a friend to all of us.) I hope whatever Val is up to these days that she is happy, hopefully not grounded too often, and getting along ok with her older brother.

With the current story, we are getting a little more involved with serious writing than ever before, and I think that scares most people off. I hope a few people are still reading it though, because if it's just David and me writing to each other, what's the point? With just the two of us I don't want to continue with a single funny sentence and then saddle him with the burden of creating another chapter. I think the story would be much more silly and playful (and unpredictable!) if more people added their thoughts to it.

For the first time in this forum's history, there are a minimum of young people participating, it's mostly now just us adults, and so the entire forum has become more serious. I worry that this will prevent kids from reading it, much less adding their thoughts to it, this will no longer be a place that attracts them. And that's too bad, because Taylor is a terrific role model, something that is in very short supply these days for kids and teens. But she is growing up too, the 11-year-old that captured our hearts in 2006 no longer exists.

David, you're not getting ANY of my Girl Scout cookies, no matter how much you entertain me. But I admire your knowledge and your wit, you give me a great excuse to take my brain out for a little exercise now and then.
afandan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Bob & David talking about the nice story that's being wrote as
we speak, I've always thought it's a great thread, but I get very intimidated from you guys great writting !!!
But You David have made me feel like I would like to try sometime, because you have made it sound that you don't mind if were not great at creative writting, Plus I'm like a lot of people on youtube. if you've ever noticed that on the comments that the ones that get the most thumbs up or down are the comments that aren't very long, for that reason I find it easy to read the the longer comments, but find it difficult to read the longer storys , and find that I run out time doing other things on the computer, plus I'm more of a nonfiction kind of guy,but I'll read a sci-fi once in a while, mostly if it's about traveling through time, but I see you guys are having a ball with it !!!! from (afandan) Dan Cole
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, lately our story narratives have gotten really long, and that scares people away. What we need is for someone to add some short replies, to put us back in our proper place. Rolling Eyes

But writing is like eating chocolate, once you start it's hard to stop. Razz
ory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I just stopped writing because I felt lost.....I don't have the skill or imagination to write like you two....I'm just good at the little "zingers".
I do still read it though! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob makes a sad but poignant point about kids on the forum. The reality is this will not ever be a kids forum again because if you think about it, for us grownups Taylor's debut was just yesterday but for most of the kids that were here, it was half a lifetime ago and they move on to the next big thing so fast. In the short time I've been here (5 months?) my experience has been of an all-adult forum with a small but fiercely loyal group of regular posters who are fans of yodeling and other European folk music through the influence of Taylor Ware. Occasionally a kid will pop in to say "happy birthday" or something but that's about it. For me personally the forum is perfect as is, however, I can look back at the archives and see that it was once a very different place. Empty nest syndrome has set in. To the credit of all you adults out there who date back to the old days, no one is moping around--this is still a fun place even though the kids grew up and left home.

That being said, there is no possible change we can make to the "Continue the Story" game to get kids to join in. It's now a grownup game but it could certainly be made a bit more grownup friendly! I agee with Bob that it would be much more fun with a least a couple more voices. Remember the Bible story where God was going to spare Sodom & Gomorrah if there were ten righteous men to be found? I was similarly thinking that this story should be spared if only two righteous readers could be found! Well, they have been found (and I suspect there's more) so I am happy to keep writing just for these two wonderful people. But how do you get more people [adults] to actually write? Admittedly the posts have gotten a bit too long [out of control?] for people to want to participate. I know I get carried away and don't know when to quit! The opposite problem can be if posts are too short (ie, one sentence) because the plot can lose all coherence and within the next ten sentences you are looking at a whole different story (like that old party game "gossip" if you've ever played that!). So I propose this......

1). Bob and David, keep it shorter! (and wait a day or two longer between posts so somebody else can jump in (hopefully).

2). If you're not feeling very creative then don't try to write a story, instead just throw something at the story just to see what somebody else does with it. And don't always use strange creatures. Throw a court summons at the story. Or an ex-wife. Or a gang of bikers on pogo sticks.

3). After you see that step #2 is fairly painless, then get brave and add a bit more sometime.

4). Feel free to steal ideas from other stories and movies you know. It's a miracle I haven't been sued already by Tolkein & Lucas.

OK, Bob, I see that you have relocated the statues. I'm going to ignore that for a while! Writer's strike...until I can get some more help around here! Laughing
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I relocated the statues because I want George to find Yodie and get back home, I feel sorry for him! I want something good to happen to him for a change, he's had enough of an adventure, especially considering that he was 'forced' into it without much choice by a yodeler who suddenly showed up at his door (window?) one night.

I think soon he may wake up and find that this was all just a terrible nightmare, brought on by eating too much left-over 6-meat pizza that had been in his fridge just a little too long. Laughing

You're right about the kids, they are all growing up and leaving the nest. And it's unlikely that Taylor will have another new AGT-like experience, which would give us another new crop. She's not so much a kid anymore either.
cow109

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, George hasn't suffered enough yet. He needs some character-building! Laughing
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking we should wait until someone else comes along and decides George's fate, or maybe we should take a poll?
cow109

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... the story is the poll that decides his fate--isn't it (?? ! !) :?

But I'm all in favor of going on strike until somebody else writes.

Otherwise I have a great ending I can write ....

Yodie becomes a mute chef in the evil king's kitchen.

Yoda and Lenny become a tourist attraction (the new Easter Island).

The elves try to get back to the North Pole by using the yellow shoes Yodie left behind, not knowing they were a one-way ticket to Saturn.

George and his pet kitten get jobs as night auditor and chief mouser back at the resort. They get free room and board but have to move out of the Opulence Suite and into the recently remodeled janitor's closet.
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the possibilities are endless. But I'm hoping for a happy ending for George and Yodie, each in their own separate worlds.

David, wait a while before you write your ending, in case someone else wants to take this into a direction we haven't yet thought of. If I don't like your ending, I'll just write my own. Razz
cow109

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my "parallel universe that doesn't exist" ending. I don't like it either! Thought it might scare someone into taking a turn at the helm! Very Happy.

OK.....I confess. I'm addicted to the story and dying to write the next section. But I'm zipping myself into a straightjacket. .. Wall <--- going crazy
I will make my next contribution on Tuesday of next week or right after the next third-party contribution, whichever comes first!
Spider Sing OryCat
ory

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are both making this too complicated!
Just keep writing, you are both doing such a great job, and are very creative! I enjoy reading it, and if I get struck by a brilliant idea, I'll add my 2 cents, (but that doesn't happen very often) Razz Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...making this too complicated!

Funny, that's what my wife always tells me! Confused ...but I never make anything complicated! Very Happy

OK, but I'm still going to wait until Tuesday just in case there's someone out there..... Hello!
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUICK!!!! Somebody please add to our story!! Shocked

Otherwise I think something very bad is going to happen to George and/or Yodie! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> Stories Written by Our Members All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: