Learn To Flip Your Voice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mychael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Learn To Flip Your Voice Reply with quote

Hi All!

This is a rather interesting site I found that describes how to flip the voice and "where" you can find it!

You will see there are 3 exercises and an exam:

http://www.geocities.com/viennaonline/ai/yodel.html?200729

Kind wishes,
Michael
Ps. Let us know how you get on, Bob. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mychael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

I have had some interesting thoughts about how to find the head voice or how to flip from chest to head voice.

The chest voice is your natural voice and the head voice is like the kind of choir boy top of your range.

I was yawning today (a very tiring day at that!) and I noticed that if you put voice with your yawn, it will normally start in your head voice and then if you carry the voice through to the end of the yawn, (if indeed it is a healthy yawn - you know, one of those generic standard common or garden yawns!) then it will drop into the chest voice. So, for anyone who can't seem to find their head voice, next time you yawn, keep your voice going and then try to control NOT dropping into your chest voice (which is quite easy to control) and now all you need to do is just practice going from your head or 'yawn voice' into your chest or 'natural voice'.

Let me know if this works. Just so you know, my yawning hasn't changed since I have been yodeling! Woops

Kind regards,
Michael

Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally realized my problem! I have NO head voice!! It's missing!! Surprised

When I go up the scale waiting for my voice to 'flip' from chest to head, I run out of range long before the 'flip' takes place! I'm a head voice mute! Confused

I can't scream like a girl, even on a roller coaster, I can't make that nice audible yawn like Michael talks about, there is just nothing in my head!! Rolling Eyes
Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
there is just nothing in my head!! Rolling Eyes

Well, I could have told you that Mr Scarecrow!!! Laughing Laughing Shocked Shocked

(Oh come on, you think I could let a set-up line like that go to waste!! Wink )
Mychael

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob!

You have many good things in your head! You even have a head voice. You just need to find it. A friend of mine just blew out air every time he tried to sing in his head voice. After weeks of trying hard, he squeaked out a tiny head voice. I told him if he practiced it would get stronger. I have some exercises for those who don't think they have a head voice yet. I'll post them some time soon. They are designed to free up the vocal cords. If you haven't used your vocal cords in this way for decades, they will need freeing up. That is all. I'm sure you will be able to use your head voice AND yodel one of these days! Smile

Kindest wishes,
Michael
Ps. And Gunner, what was the tin man missing?

Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tin man wanted a heart Heart Love You .......I always thought an umbrella would have been more useful to him, as he could stop himself rusting up again then Wink
I think my heart is okay though.......I try not to use it too much by being nice.....does that show do you think? Shocked Laughing Wink
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner, I knew my 'empty head' comment would get a reply from you! Laughing

Was Michael maybe giving you a little shot with the 'tin man' question? Shocked

Michael, thanks for being so optimistic about my head voice! Since AGT I've been 'yodeling' nearly every day with Taylor when I take my daily walk, maybe someday something will squeak out! Very Happy
Cambesa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thing ive seen on that site...

http://www.geocities.com/viennaonline/ai/yodel.html?200729 wrote:
Yodeling is not childproof:
In children it creates an artificial breaking of the voice..

err... Taylor...was 7yo when she started...
that is a child, why can she do it?
isnt or wasnt she ruining her voice?

it doesn't sound like ruining her voice,it sounds great...
is the site lieing? or must i say lying? i dont know the correct word in english, sorry.
or is she maybe yodeling another way, shes not screaming HEY, GO, WHY in her songs but shes singing yodel.

Confused
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yodeling doesn't ruin your voice any more than yelling or screaming or singing. With use your voice may become tired, or you may become hoarse, but if you rest your voice for a while it will recover. I never heard of anyone permanately damaging their voice just by using it.

Taylor YODELS!! There is nothing artificial about it! I went to the Vienna Online site in your link, and I'm not sure what they are trying to do by telling you to yell at your neighbors, visit the monkeys at a zoo, and rent a Tarzan movie, to learn to yodel. I hope Michael will explain the value of all of this, if any. I suspect that the site is meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

It's interesting though!
Mychael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob & Cambese!

I think that site is just trying to give us a new way of finding the head voice. The theory is if you yell at the top of your voice and do it as high as possible they think you might naturally flip into head voice. This might work for some people who haven't yet found their head voice. I personally think it would work better by just trying to sing as high as possible and relaxing the throat as much as is possible. You see, I believe that one of the main reasons people can't find their head voice is because they are using their throat muscles to produce a high pitch sound. You need to find a way of not using the throat muscles. These muscles are the same that you use to swallow. Imagine that! It is like trying to sing and eat at the same time! Impossible.

Try speaking with a Mickey Mouse voice, scream like they do in the horror movies, make an impression of a door creaking open and then closed again etc. etc. See if you can think of others.

The site was wrong in saying that it produces an artificial breaking of the voice. No matter how young or old we are, our vocal cords are the same shape and this is where the sound of the voice is controlled. If they are all the same shape and can all be used in the same way (depending on how you train them) then, as a child, you are not creating anything more artificial than someone even in their senior years!

One of the problems that singers/yodelers find is the voice becomes hoarse quicker by using falsetto instead of head voice. It takes more control to sing in head voice than falsetto. Falsetto is a fluffy kind of sound and head voice is a clearer upper range sound. Falsetto sounds weaker than the chest voice (your normal range) but if you use head voice, then it can sound as strong if not even stronger than the chest voice. There is no difference between the falsetto and the head voice range. Some people might disagree with this and try to argue in that technically they are different and there is some truth in this, but the head voice is produced in yodeling the same way when flipping from chest to head or chest to falsetto. It FEELS like it is in the same range which it IS! It is just a 'weak' version of head voice. You might find that the higher you sing, the closer to head voice you use until the technique gets better. Falsetto can be used for style at various moments in a song. For me, my head voice is getting better, but I find that with training it is a gradual thing.

The other thing this site is trying to do is to get people to find the timbre of voice which makes your chest voice sound like a yodel voice. This is where you use the chest voice in a way that gives it that 'mountain call' sound. It is difficult to describe without a demonstration (which I might see if I can do and send as a sample). For now, listen to the Melanie Oesch Ku Ku Jodel and she uses, in my opinion, the syllables which work best to create this sound with ease:

"ha-la-la-I-DI-DEE-ah-la-dee-oh"

I believe it is the "ah-la-dee-oh" part which gets this sound. Taylor is able to do it and it comes out very often on her CD tracks. One example is when she did AGT singing "He Taught Me How To Yodel" and it was in this part:

"To try to learn to yodel with a di-del-ee-yodel-oh-O-DEE-oooh"

...the part where she goes back down into the head voice singing "oooh".

Well, I hope this helps for now.

Kindest wishes to all who make an effort to understand this.

Michael

afandan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks loads Mychael!!! sure does help!! Yes!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> Yodeling! All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: