Kerry Christensen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> Kerry Christensen and Janet McBride
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taylor's dad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Kerry Christensen Reply with quote

Heh y'all,
I just noticed that Kerry Christensen joined the forum. He is a professional yodeler extraordinaire. If y'all can get him to post he should be a wealth of knowledge. We have many of his CD's and enjoy them greatly. Like many yodelers he has a signature yodel that is a riot.

Thanks for joining Kerry. Very Happy
Kerry Christensen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Kerry Christensen a great Taylor Ware Fan Reply with quote

Kerry Christensen here,

Just want to take this opportunity to say that I am a great fan of Taylor. Taylor is not only a great yodeler but her ability to connect with an audience is every bit as important.

I have seen hundreds of youngsters who yodel over the 30 years of my yodeling career. Only just a handful have Taylors Charisma.

I hope someday to invite her to perform with me on some of my shows. My daughter Emilie and I performed duet yodeling from the time she was four years old until she got married at 23.

Emilie's little boy Reed is learning to yodel. He is three. He already has his own accordion. You can see him doing his chicken yodel on a little video on my website.

If I can pull it off It might be possible for Taylor and I to sing together at Dollywood Tennesse this April and May for a weekend or two at the international festival. Check out my tour dates link below for upcoming information about that.

Keep up the great enthusiasm Taylor.

http://www.kerrychristensen.com

I have a newsletter the I send out monthly. If you are interested sign up at my website above.

Sincerely,

Kerry Christensen
afandan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott & Taylor (afandan) here,you are right Kerry Christensen is very exceptional at yodeling,I was wondering if you guys knew of him. Boy if he gets together with Taylor in Dollywood that would be just awesome (can't wait) Arrow
Jimmy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is becoming unbelievable!. I would like to join Scott and Afandan in welcoming Kerry Christensen on here and I believe I can speak for every member that we are so honored to have these yodelling greats on our little forum. And My friend, Janet McBride -WOW- Hi Janet, I promise not to speed through Dallas and I couldn't sing "Cowboy Sweetheart" anyway. Wink I am so humbled tonight and I see Taylor's Grandmother has joined up also and I would just like to add one more thing especially for her, you have the best, most talented, most driven granddaughter anyone could have and I know because I have 7 granddaughters each with their own special abilities. I've been introducing Taylor to them hoping her drive and ambition would rub off a little. Welcome to all the new members. Please look around the forum and find where you can contribute. Our goal is to watch and maybe assist Taylor Ware in becoming a SUPER STAR! Very Happy
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also overdue to welcome Kerry and Janet here, the member list of this forum is beginning to look like a yodeling who's who! We as fans of yodeling are honored to see you all here!

I knew Taylor had talent by the way she captured me at AGT. And now that is being reinforced when I see all the greats who are supporting Taylor, and hoping as much as anyone for her success.
wolfn2007

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Kerry and Janet to this forum Very Happy It's an honor to have you both on board! And thanks so much for supporting Taylor, she is indeed a very talented young girl.

-Wolfn
Mychael

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

I just went to Kerry Christensen's site and he has this new video. Just watch the expression of joy on his face as he performs! Truly inspiring stuff and also the trumpet trick which you have to see to believe that he is doing it with his mouth and not an actual trumpet!

Anyway, here is the link:

http://www.kerrychristensen.com/videos/Puyallup.html

Kind regards,
Michael

ElEmSaSa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Mychael,

As soon as I'm finished with this post, I'm going to visit Kerry's site again...it's been awhile
Thanks for posting about it

If his schedule still stands, he will be here in our area in June, and I'm definitely going to try to be there. It's Frankemuth, a wonderful German area with two of the best restaurants, and much else there. It's a great place to visit...and am looking forward to hearing him in person.

I, too, have several of his CD's and we enjoy them, not only the yodelling, but the German, which I am (but don't speak the language)

marilynb
Mychael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marilyn!

How are you? Things here are starting to get back to normal. Which CDs do you have of his? I have his yodel course (which starts with a pretty mean rendition of the Chicken Yodel and ends with several English and German yodel songs) and the CD Swiss Cowboy. He has such fantastic control! On that CD, he has Gypsy Revenge which I started practicing ages ago. I was thinking to myself that every time I hear him do something like that it makes me understand why you need to be doing this for years before tackling yodel techniques like that.

However, I started practicing it again the other day and now I can do it but I have inserted a few ideas of my own. I think it is the fastest yodel I have ever done. I listened to Norm on his yodelcourse.com podcast and he was talking about Thomas Scholl who has the record for the fastest yodel. I think that if Kerry wanted to, he could probably do just as well, if not, better. However, I'm not so sure he would find it an important enough challenge to entertain. Well, the record is 22 articulations of the voice in 1 second. I find this difficult to comprehend because no matter how hard I try, I can only get 17 in 1 second (and I can't imagine it sounding faster). Well, I would be interested to know which kind of technique Scholl was actually using. At the moment, I have my 17 through the Gypsy piece technique. It is a technique which is really fun and I am going to make a post about how to develop it. It is quite easy to understand (as long as you know what is actually being done) and in fact, part of it is in the Franzl Lang yodel I did a week or so ago (but much faster).

Best wishes,
Michael

ElEmSaSa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

I ordered several of Kerry's CD's, and they are so fun to listen to. My granddaughter got the "how to" one, and we both have 3 others now. I love the Chicken yodel, but what is fun to me is on his site, to just click on the various yodels he does and listen to them...

Did you read where he is entertaining locally for me, and that I very much want to go see him? Since my heritage is mostly German, I love to listen to his songs. My granddaughter loves when Emily yodels, both young and older...she plays them over and over.

Please do post about what you learn - this is an exciting venture for me just reading about what you've learned and researched. I won't yodel, but I do like to read what you are doing...

thanks,
Exclamation marilyn
Mychael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marilyn!

Good to hear back from you so soon!

Yes, so, you are part German? I am part Austrian! This, I suppose has something to do with my liking of his Swiss/Austrian/German yodel styles. I am also part Hungarian which might have something to do with my love of the Gypsy music. I don't live in America and he doesn't seem to have anything going on in the UK (although I know a number of places they would really love to hear him over here!).

I heard Emily's yodeling (when she was a child) on the Hooked On Yodel CD (I think). I don't think I have heard her in any others, but I would love to! How old is your granddaughter? She must love listening to Taylor as well! I wonder if Taylor will ever do a yodel song in the German language or Swiss dialect of...

Yes, when I go to Kerry's site, I always click on the right hand side to hear the excerpts of his yodel selection. I am eager to hear the whole version of 'The Auctioneer' (not 'Sold'). Well, maybe in the new year I shall do a little more stocking up on some more yodel treasures!

Which one(s) of Emily singing are your granddauhter's favourite?

Have you ever tried learning German? You know, there is a great course that will actually teach you the Swiss dialect! Check it out on:

http://www.pimsleurapproach.com/learn-swiss-german.asp

I can't promise you will learn any of the stuff that means you will be able to translate the songs, but it is a start. Also, I think there is another company which deals with the same but more up to date language programmes. However, on this page, you will see how the science of learning language was revolutionised by Pimsleur (a course used by the FBI and CIA so their agents can survive in foreign lands).

While you were typing that last message, I did a little more practice on that technique I was talking about before. My goodness! At times, it almost doesn't sound like yodeling because it is so fast, but one must come to the conclusion that it is yodeling because the voice skips between notes without any portamento (the sliding up and down between 2 pitches) and it would be impossible to do it without the yodel technique at that speed. I wish I had better equipment to record on.

I was thinking about Frankemuth. It has been a while since I have practiced my German spelling, but does it mean, 'The courage of Franke'? Something to do with Anne, perhaps? I have no idea! I wish I could be there to see Kerry Christensen next June. Will you get a chance to make a little home movie of it?

Thank you sooo much for your interest in my discoveries and progress. It really means a lot! I can't really share it with many people here. I suppose I'm just waiting for the chance to have the stage to myself (in a non-pianistic capacity) and then sock it to them.

All the best,
Michael

ElEmSaSa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

You had been off sick, and then asked which commentary I was speaking of....well, I just found your post - it's the Der Appenzeller Yodel that I was thinking of...

Yes, am totally German on my father's side, way back generations, and on my mothers', English, and I heard a wee bit of Irish in there, thus the surname Armstrong...but both Grandma and grandfather claimed English

Thank you so much for the link to the German language, I'm going to take a good look at it - wondering if I couldn't just learn a wee bit...LOL

my granddaughter likes the CD where Emily yodels and sings 2 songs...and was about 8 or 10 maybe...I know it says somewhere
don't have them in front of me right now...

you are still impressive - imagine...a concert pianist and now a yodeler, or yodeller??? I'm not sure, but think you just add the er and not another l...so we'll stick to yodeler for now...

keep up the good work, and keep on posting...I'm so interested in what you are writing..
marilyn
ElEmSaSa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael

She has:

U2 can Yodel
Hooked on Yodeling
Old West to Alps
Over the Edge

marilyn
ElEmSaSa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

I love that yodel Kerry does at the end of the Yodel Over beyond the chicken sound...it just sets well with me and makes me happy!!!
marilyn
Mychael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marilyn!

Thanks for your replies! How are all of the kids? Well, if you like, the German course offered by this web site is very good because it has all the levels and you can check it out here:

http://www.pimsleurapproach.com/learn-german.asp

Of course, there are a lot of other languages on that site from Russian to Arabic.

I'm sorry, but I didn't quite understand what you meant by the Yodel Over beyond the chicken sound. If you let me know, I might see if I can explain it for you. I would also be interested to know which part you are talking about.

I heard the one where Emily sings the Cou Cou Yodel which I posted in the forum (my own recording). She did really well! It is a yodel which takes a GREAT deal of voice control and I must say that once I learnt how to do that, a lot of other things came easy. However, it took sooo much practice to get it in tune. This is why I suggest to everyone who wants to be a good yodeler that they study some Swiss yodeling as it will ensure that they find Country Yodeling easier (from a technical standpoint).

As for Der Appenzeller Yodel, I was waiting until I recovered to record that. It is rather hardcore yodeling and I might not be able to do it without croaking at the moment. The Gypsy Revenge Yodel is probably going to be the most impressive thing I have ever done (as far as yodeling is concerned) but it is easier for me at the moment because it only requires very light articulations. It actually feels as though I have a butterfly fluttering around in my mouth and throat helping me with the yodel! Perhaps I should call my version, "The Gypsy Moth" ??

In the English dictionary, it says that yodeler is the American spelling whereas yodeller is the British. It is the same for yodeling and yodelling.

I must go and check out those yodel CDs your granddaughter likes.

If you want me to help you with your German, that is always an option!

Hope you are having a really nice day!

Kindest wishes,
Michael

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taylor Ware Yodel Forum Index -> Kerry Christensen and Janet McBride All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: